alt.comp.shareware.programmer

The SSL certificate industry is a messy business

Subject: The SSL certificate industry is a messy business
From: dc
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:46:21 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.comp.shareware.programmer

Not everyone is running an online banking business or selling
merchandise online. Sometimes, an SSL certificate is used only to remove
the warning in a browser.

For example, a reasonable certificate is needed if you run a home server
or if you have a small business and simply want to give your
friends/customers secure access to your server without having to tell
everyone using your site that your self signed certificate is the cause
of the nasty browser warning.

Why are certificates from VeriSign so freakin’ expensive?

Why do many of the "cheap" SSL providers not tell you they sell a
chained certificate?

If you have any experience with "good and reasonable" certificate
vendors, please join our forum and give us your thoughts. We have a
thread where we would like to have an open discussion regarding "good
and reasonable" certificate vendors. The forum is for the BarracudaDrive
server, but you do not have to have this product to join our discussion
group..

http://barracudaserver.com/The-SSL-certificate-industry-is-a-messy-business/