advocacy-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [advocacy-discuss] OpenSolaris Live Chat Join Now!!

Subject: Re: [advocacy-discuss] OpenSolaris Live Chat Join Now!!
From: "Uros Nedic"
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 00:14:13 +0200
  Folks, I know that any of you are great engineer. I really respect
your work, but I'll never understand why you just do not deploy
old fashioned yet reliable IRC server (or use freenode), and everyone
will be happy?

  Same is with Jive. We cannot open any new newsgroup because Jive come
to the point when adding new groups could be critical to its stability.
Why then we do not use newsgroup server and everyone will be happy?

  Look, for example, mailman system. Does anyone complain about mailman?
I don't think so. Because it is simple, and just works!

  During my spare time I frequently think why hardware today is at least
one generation ahead from software? Maybe this is answer. There are lot
of bad software on the market today, that only solution for people is
to buy better hardware. Increasing demand for hardware we increase its
innovation and development.

  Look for example lot of webmail-based services. They increased Internet
traffic enormous because it is more like a fashion. Good engineers designed
sendmail, pine, etc., and they just send message from source server to
destination one. In webmail if I want to send something I have to send them
to the server in USA, for example and he will download it from the same
server even if recipient lives two streets from me!

  I think that we are serious engineers, and it is not allowed to us to
produce unreliable and unscalable software. Or we will not see in the
future difference between Microsoft's and our products.

Regards,
MSc Uros Nedic
Belgrade, Serbia