activeperl@listserv.ActiveState.com

LWP https SSL Crypt-SSLeay timeout not working/implemented?

Subject: LWP https SSL Crypt-SSLeay timeout not working/implemented?
From: "Emmanuel E"
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:21:46 +0530
Hi,

I have set the timeout for LWP to 10 seconds. It works fine for HTTP connections, I get a 500 Timeout error. But for HTTPS (SSL) connections the client just hangs without any timeout if the server does not respond. I have the same problem with the ActiveState perl as well as the version of Perl provided by Randy Kobes at http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/

Maybe we should move to a pure Perl implementation of SSL. Pure Perl implementations of most Crypt algorithms already exist. I feel we should get rid of this dependency on openssl which refuses to provide a usable windows port.

OS: WinXP Pro.
Tested on ActivePerl version 5.8.3.809. LWP version 5.75. Crypt-SSLeay version 0.51.
and
theoryx5 Perl 5.8.4.810 LWP version 5.51. Crypt-SSLeay version 0.51.

Below is the sample code for the client:
=====================================
use LWP::UserAgent;
use Crypt::SSLeay;

my $req = HTTP::Request->new(GET => 'https://localhost:8000');

my $ua =LWP::UserAgent->new;

$ua->timeout(10);

my $response = $ua->request($req);

print $response->as_string;
=====================================

The sample code for the server (in case you need one to test against):
=====================================
use IO::Socket;

my $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new(Listen    => 5,
                                LocalAddr => 'localhost',
                                LocalPort => 8000,
                                Proto     => 'tcp');

my $accept = $socket->accept;