activeperl@listserv.ActiveState.com

win32::ODBC Fails with bad file descriptor

Subject: win32::ODBC Fails with bad file descriptor
From: Wayne Simmons
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:18:33 -0700
Hello all,

I'm using the win32::ODBC module on a windows machine (XP Pro to be exact).
When one user tries to connect to a system DSN it works just fine, but I've
added a new user to the computer and the script fails to connect to the
database with the error: Bad File Descriptor.  The connection and test is
simple:

my $LayupDB = new Win32::ODBC("C_LIVE");
if (! defined ($LayupDB) )
{
    print "Failed to connect.... exiting error: ", $!;
    exit 0 unless caller;
    return 0;
}

This runs on several other machines with multiple logins, however the XP Pro
machine has been formatted with NTFS and the others are all FAT32.  From
what I can find about the error "Bad File Descriptor" it is usually a
permissions problem. This user can run the script from a different machine,
under this login, successfully. The only combination that fails is his login
on that machine.

So, I added the domain user to the local "power users" group but it didn't
fix the problem. Short of making him an admin I don't know what else to do.
I was just hopping someone had seen this exact problem before and could tell
me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

-Wayne